TypeCon is an annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA), an international organization dedicated to the promotion, study, and support of typography and related arts.
Since the inaugural conference in 1998, TypeCon has explored type for the screen, printing history, Dutch design, type in motion, Arabic calligraphy, the American Arts and Crafts movement, experimental typography, webfonts, and much more. Special events include the Type & Design Education Forum, and an exhibition of international type and design.
- TypeCon2016: Resound — Seattle, WA
- TypeCon2015: Condensed — Denver, CO
- TypeCon2014: Capitolized — Washington, DC
- TypeCon2013: Portl& — Portland, OR
- TypeCon2012: MKE SHIFT — Milwaukee, WI
- TypeCon2011: Surge — New Orleans, LA
- TypeCon2010: Babel — Los Angeles, CA
- TypeCon2009: Rhythm — Atlanta, GA
- TypeCon2008: Punkt — Buffalo, NY
- TypeCon2007: Letter Space — Seattle, WA
- TypeCon2006: The Boston T Party — Boston, MA
- TypeCon2005: Alphabet City — New York, NY
- TypeCon2004: Type High — San Francisco, CA
- TypeCon2003: Counter Culture — Minneapolis, MN
- TypeCon2002: The Medium and the Message — Toronto, ON
- TypeCon2001: <R>evolution — Rochester, NY
- TypeCon2000 — Westborough, MA
- TypeCon1998 — Westborough, MA
SOTA exists for the affordable education of its members and participants, to further the development of type, typographical information and typography, and to appreciate on multiple levels the attributes of type, typography, design, the book arts and calligraphy. SOTA is committed to sponsoring relevant topics in pursuit of these goals. The annual TypeCon plays a major role in accomplishing this aim.
TypeCon conferences are attractively priced, affording a diverse range of type lovers the opportunity to meet in an intimate setting. Discounts are given to students and current SOTA members. Volunteer and sponsorship opportunities in a variety of areas are available throughout the year.
SOTA is incorporated in the State of New York and has been designated a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization by the United States Internal Revenue Service. SOTA is a tax-exempt organization and is eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.
For more information about SOTA, please contact us.