Hello educators, students and all interested parties. The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) is pleased to announce that it will present its seventh Type & Design Education Forum as part of TypeCon2012. This special program will be held on Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 at the InterContinental Hotel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The theme of this year’s Type & Design Education Forum is:
Recasting Typography Education
We seem to be at a crossroads in typography education. Principally taught as a stepchild of graphic design until now, typography has come into its own in the real world as systems for delivering information rely on excellent meta- and micro-typography for their success among users. What skills do students need to be successful professionals in this newly defined field? How does this technology revolution affect curriculum and teaching methodology? And not of least interest, where does the swelling interest in traditional book arts fit into the big picture?
We welcome your proposals addressing these questions as well as the traditional assignment demonstrations that have been part of every education forum. We will have 15-minute slots for assignments and 35 minute slots for longer presentations. Each slot will have an additional 5 minute Q & A time to allow for more interaction among us.
Proposal Guidelines & Requirements
Proposals should contain the following:
- A description of your proposed presentation, workshop, and/or breakout session
- Your CV, resume, or long form biography — including areas of interest and specialization
- Your biography, edited for publicity (100 words maximum)
- A statement on why you’d like to participate
- For presentation and workshop proposals, include 2 to 3 images of student work resulting from the proposed assignment
- Speaking references (if you have not previously presented at TypeCon)
Please send all submissions to email hidden by Wednesday, February 29th, 2012.
See also: TypeCon2012 Call for Programming