The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) is now accepting programming proposals for its fifteenth annual conference. TypeCon2013 will be held at the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower, August 21st – 25th in Portland, Oregon and will once again offer an affordable program designed for type makers and type users from all walks of life.
We are currently reviewing proposals for contemporary and historical presentations and panel discussions, focused hands-on workshops in both the digital and non-digital realms, and a variety of programming for the Type & Design Education Forum and other special events.
Topics for presentations at TypeCon cover a broad range of interests, including: typography; type design; font production; graphic design; new media; printing history; calligraphy and hand lettering; the book arts; advertising; type in motion; literacy; type sales and marketing; legal issues; type and design education; and other related areas.
Deadline for proposals: Friday, March 15th, 2013
Standard programming formats are as follows:
Main Conference Program
Friday, August 23rd – Sunday, August 25th
- 40 minutes, including time for audience Q & A
Type in 20 Presentations
- 20 minutes, including time for audience Q & A (if any)
- Requires a minimum of 3 panelists representing a range of experience and expertise in a given topic. An experienced moderator is necessary for all panels — programming committee will choose a moderator at its discretion if an appropriate candidate does not emerge. A moderator may also serve as a panelist where appropriate. Panel discussions range from 45 – 75 minutes, depending on the topic.
Wednesday, August 21st – Thursday, August 22nd
Workshops should give attendees and opportunity to “get their hands dirty” and expand their creative and/or technological horizons.
- 7 hours (with break for lunch at midday)
- 3.5 hours (no break)
Type & Design Education Forum
Thursday, August 22nd
Please refer to the Education Forum Call for Speakers.
Tours & Special Events
Wednesday, August 21st – Sunday, August 25th
Any ideas that showcase typography and design in Portland and the surrounding region are welcome.
Proposal Guidelines & Requirements
You may submit multiple proposals.
In order to consider your proposal, we will need the following:
- The type of programming spot you are seeking
- The title of the presentation, panel, workshop, tour, or other event
- A concise one-paragraph description of your topic (up to 100 words)
- Complete supporting materials for review (visuals, theses, articles, abstracts, etc.)
- the more details you provide, the better
- workshop proposals must include a list of supplies that will be required
- Your biography, edited for publicity (100 words maximum)
- Your CV, resume, or long form biography (including areas of interest and specialization)
- Speaking references (if you have not previously presented at TypeCon)
- A short statement on why you wish to participate in TypeCon
- A print quality headshot (JPEG format, 2″ x 2″ @ 300 DPI minimum size, no larger than 2MB)
- Any other material that supports your proposal
For Main Program & Workshop proposals, use the online form.
For Education Forum proposals, see the Education Forum Call for Speakers.
For Tour & Special Event proposals, email email hidden
Deadline for all proposals: Friday, March 15th, 2013
Photo Copyright © Henrique Nardi. All rights reserved.