Update! The deadline for submissions has been extended to April 8th, 2011
The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) is now accepting programming proposals for its thirteenth annual conference. TypeCon2011 will be held July 5th – 10th in New Orleans and will offer an affordable program designed for type makers and type users from all walks of life.
We are currently reviewing proposals for contemporary and historical presentations and panel discussions, focused hands-on workshops in both the digital and non-digital realms, and a variety of programming for the Type & Design Education Forum and other special events.
Topics for presentations at TypeCon cover a broad range of interests, including typography, type design, font production, graphic design, new media, printing history, calligraphy and hand lettering, the book arts, advertising, type in motion, literacy, type sales and marketing, legal issues, type and design education, and other related areas.
Standard programming formats are as follows:
Main Conference Program
Friday, July 8th – Sunday, July 10th
- 40 minutes, including time for audience Q & A
Type in 20 Presentations
- 20 minutes, including time for audience Q & A (if any)
- Requires a minimum of 3 panelists representing a range of experience and expertise in a given topic. An experienced moderator is necessary for all panels — programming committee will choose a moderator at its discretion if an appropriate candidate does not emerge. A moderator may also serve as a panelist where appropriate. Panel discussions range from 45-75 minutes, depending on the topic.
Wednesday, July 6th – Thursday, July 7th
Workshops should give attendees and opportunity to “get their hands dirty” and expand their creative and/or technological horizons.
- 7 hours (with break for lunch at midday)
- 3.5 hours (no break)
Type & Design Education Forum
Thursday, July 7th
Please refer to the separate education forum call for speakers.
Tours & Special Events
Tuesday, July 5th – Sunday, July 10th
Any ideas that showcase typography and design in New Orleans and the surrounding region are welcome.
Proposal Guidelines & Requirements
You may submit multiple proposals.
In order to consider your proposal, we will need the following:
- The type of programming spot you are seeking
- The title of the presentation, panel, workshop, tour, or other event
- A concise one-paragraph description of your topic (up to 100 words)
- Complete supporting materials for review (visuals, theses, articles, abstracts, etc.) — the more details you provide, the better
- Your biography, edited for publicity (100 words maximum)
- Your CV, resume, or long form biography — including areas of interest and specialization
- Speaking references (if you have not previously presented at TypeCon)
- A short statement on why you wish to participate in TypeCon
- A print quality headshot
- Any other material that supports your proposal
Please use PDF, RTF, or ASCII files for text. Headshot images should be TIFF or JPEG format, 2\” x 2\” @ 300DPI minimum size. Compress all files in a single ZIP archive labeled with your name and the type of program spot you are seeking (eg: TC11_Main_LastNameFirstName). If your ZIP archive is larger than 20MB, please send a link to a downloadable file rather than an email attachment.
Email proposals to email hidden by April 8th, 2011.
The programming committee will review all proposals for possible inclusion in the conference schedule.